Tuesday, August 12, 2008

What a Night

I think we should have permanent name bracelets for all of the local emergency rooms. Once again last night we had to stop by and check on the staff at Edmond Medical Center....

I was cooking chicken spaghetti and of course Brooke wanted to help. She loves to cook! So she had her barstool over to the side of the stove. Kara was just busy being 2 walking around saying "eat eat" knowing that dinner was almost done. As I was draining the pasta I heard the barstool scoot across the floor. This is an extremely annoying sound. If you have ever called our house there is a 99% chance that you have heard it. Anywho I thought it was Brooke moving it, but it wasn't. Kara had decided to check out the flashing red light on the cook top. It's a smooth surface, so the burner area flashes when it is hot but has been turned off. Most would view this as a danger sign and stay away....but not 2 year olds! Kara decided to touch it and see what it was. OUCH! Dinner was of course put on hold and I spent the next little while running cold water over her hand. At first I didn't think it was really that bad. Quite some time had passed and she was still just crying and shaking her hand so I decided to take her to the ER.

Brooke was having a sleepover at my parent's house so I helped her get her things together. We loaded up the van and headed to the er. My Mom was planning to meet me in the parking lot and take Brooke home with her. When I shut my door I heard a horrible scream and looked down. Brooke had grabbed just inside my door to brace herself as she was stepping down from her door. Another OUCH!!!!! I had to open my door for her to get her hand out. It was completely shut. Her hand looked horrible so I took the ice pack that Kara had and gave it to Brooke. Kara had been crying hysterically with her burn, but immediately stopped when Brooke started. I think Lauren just wanted to steer clear of all of us! No actually Lauren was extremely helpful and scooped Kara up as soon as she realized Brooke was hurt too. So we went in and I checked both girls in to be seen.

Kara has second degree burns on all of her fingers except her pinky. Brooke had an xray of her finger and it was just bruised. Huge, swollen and purple, yes, but thankfully just bruised. I would have felt horrible if Brooke ended up with a broken finger because we took Kara to the ER for burns! What an evening!

1 comment:

Leigh said...

Oh, Cindi! I'm so sorry. It seems to always happen together or close together.